Public Relations Agency Request for Proposal
LAUP is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the quality of early learning and providing children with the best start in school and life. LAUP brings a rich history of over 12 years of impact, having helped over 700 early learning providers elevate their program quality and prepare over 130,000 young children for kindergarten and beyond. LAUP takes a diverse approach to develop the “whole child”, by providing early childhood professionals with quality assessments, coaching, training, workforce advisement, and family engagement support, each guided by research. The organization also provides trainings to parents to advocate for their children and communities and seeks to advance public policies that invest in the future of America by putting children first.
LAUP seeks an engagement with a strong public relations firm to serve as an extension of the Marketing/Communications department on matters related to earned media. The selected firm would remain on retainer for a term of 12 months pending the successful results of a 3-month trial period.
The goal of this media work would be to:
1) Increase awareness of the LAUP brand(s) within LA and beyond
2) Further position LAUP leadership (especially the CEO) as an expert on the topic of early learning
3) Expertly handle crisis communication, if and when deemed necessary
LAUP seeks to reach early childhood education decision makers, thought-leaders, politicians, teachers, parents and potential funders. In order to reach these key audiences, LAUP’s media targets include: educational trades; research journals; local and national newspapers; broadcast and radio; parenting publications; and business publications.
Scope of Work
- Story angle development: work with team to develop story ideas for multiple beats including education, workforce/economic impact, nonprofit/philanthropy work, parenting and human interest
- Pitch and secure mentions of LAUP in earned media targets including broadcast, print, radio and digital
- Pitch and secure interviews in relevant outlets for LAUP CEO, Executive Leadership, Staff and Board Members
- Explore speaking opportunities for LAUP Executive Leadership at conferences and events related to research, education, children, parenting and more
- Develop a plan for strategic involvement in events at the local and national levels; recommend sponsorship opportunities where needed
- Develop database of key influencers across the digital space including bloggers and social media groups
- Crisis communication preparation
- Strong relationships with local and national media including reporters and show producers
- Ability to write/speak Spanish and serve as liaison for Spanish media outlets
- Exceptional writing ability
- Successful track record of placing educational-based clients in broadcast, radio, print and digital
- Social media savvy
- Strong knowledge of current political landscape (local, state and federal)
- Strong knowledge of early childhood education
- Past experience with non-profit clients preferred
LAUP has an hourly maximum rate of $150 per hour for professional services. The agency would work on retainer for the remainder of the fiscal year (ending June 20, 2017). Pending a successful trial period, the contract may be extended to the next fiscal year of 2017-18.
How to Apply
Interested consultants or agencies who wish to be considered should submit a digital copy of their proposal to Kristin Feltz, Director of Marketing and Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals are due by Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 5pm PST. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure the proposal is delivered on or before the deadline. The deadline may be extended by LAUP if deemed necessary.
- Cover page that provides an overview of your organization and background
- Proposal which explains your typical working process and how you would approach the LAUP brand and associated goals
- Samples of relevant work and results (maximum of five)
- Resumes of team members that would be assigned to LAUP client work
- Proposed budget
- List of relevant clients (past or present)
- Client References (minimum of three)